Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
COMPASS Initiative® PoWER Institute
(Partners Working for Enhanced Results)
PoWER Leadership Retreat
September 19 - 21, 2022
In-Person, Savannah, GA
The Emory University COMPASS Coordinating Center
The Emory University COMPASS Coordinating Center (ECCC) supports organizational capacity building through grant making, organizational assessments and technical assistance, and evaluation. By starting with the data, using innovative mapping strategies to meet unmet needs, using technology to promote information sharing, and careful program evaluation and monitoring, the Emory Center intends to help impact HIV in the south by:
- Improving access to high quality services
- Building sustainable organizational capacity
- Nurturing the development of organizations that are of the community and responsive to community needs
- Leaving organizational partners stronger and more resilient as a result of shared work
PoWER Institute (Partners Working for Enhanced Results) PoWER Leadership
PoWER Leadership is a three (3) day leadership retreat designed to strengthen the individual leader’s knowledge, skill sets, and ability to engage their team, organization, and the communities they serve. The goal of PoWER Leadership is to increase participants chance for organizational success by:
- Broadening their understanding of their role as a leader
- Developing key skills and best practices for achieving high quality results
- Deepening the leader’s relationship with their personal and organizational why
To achieve this goal, participants will be asked to step away from the day to day operations of their organizations and totally focus on self-development. The participants will spend three (3) days in beautiful downtown riverside Savannah, Georgia, under the direction of their coaches; developing and maximizing both their hard and soft skills; modeling examples of teambuilding; and celebrating growth.
The Institute is a synchronized learning opportunity that includes rigorous assessment, cooperative learning, and individual coaching. Participants will work closely with the institute coaches to examine their strengths and weaknesses, and to develop a plan for their future success.
Who Should Apply?
Any leader from an emerging or established organization with room for growth and development, seeking to strengthen their individual capacity to successfully lead their team and enhance their organizational impact. The leader’s organizations of origin must have a 501(c)(3) status, or have a fiscal sponsor.
PoWER Leadership is intended for leaders who provide direct oversight to multiple staff members (a minimum of two (2) staffers), programs, and/or projects. Space is limited, only 10 leaders will be selected to participate in this opportunity.
To be eligible to participate in the PoWER the leader must:
- Be from an AIDS Service Organization, CBO that prioritizes HIV/AIDS prevention or care services, or a CBO with a substantial budgetary investment in HIV related programming
- Be located in and doing work within the following 12 Southern states (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN or TX)
- Be from a non-profit, tax-exempt organization as set forth in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Applicants that do not hold 501(c)(3) status must have a fiscal sponsor to apply.
- Be from an organization with a minimum of one (2) years of providing services, and at least six (6) months of demonstrated experience in providing HIV/AIDS specific services.
- Have the availability to participate in the Institute’s in person dates (September 19th thru September 21st, 2022)
All expenses for the PoWER Leadership Institute will be covered by the Emory COMPASS Coordinating Center. This includes lodging, meals, local travel, parking, airfare, onsite coaching and follow-up one-on-one executive coaching.
PoWER Leadership Timeline
Application Due August 28, 2022
Notification of Acceptance September 2, 2022
In-Person Convening September 19-21, 2022
Executing Coaching As scheduled
A complete application for the PoWER Institute includes:
- Application form (including Participating staff profiles)
- 501(c)(3) Verification
- Completed Organizational Assessment (upload a copy of the summary provided at the end of the assessment)
- Commitments & Obligation Form
Applications should be completed ONLINE and submitted through the COMPASS Initiative® application portal. Required attachments should be uploaded in the appropriate place in the application. Applications received AFTER 11:59PM EST on August 28, 2022 WILL NOT BE REVIEWED or CONSIDERED for participation.
**Participation in the PoWER Leadership does not guarantee successful award of additional COMPASS Initiative® funding, nor other grant opportunities.
Please return to the Home page to apply for this funding opportunity.