Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Leading through Education, Advocacy & Resistance with our Neighbors (LEARN) is the SUSTAIN Wellbeing COMPASS Coordinating Center’s most intensive strategy for supporting organizations with transforming organizational practice. The primary goal of LEARN is to build knowledge, capacity and expertise in a particular topic. A second important goal of LEARN is to strengthen community networks through enhanced collaboration between participating organizations. Each cohort of LEARN will be centered on a different content area, with the first cohort of LEARN focusing on harm reduction-related philosophy and service delivery. Participating organizations must demonstrate a commitment to embodying and implementing harm reduction philosophy and practices in their organizations, and possess the foundational leadership and infrastructure to lead and support associated organizational changes. Four to six organizations will be selected for each cohort.
LEARN consists of sessions over 6 months with all participating organizations. Group learning sessions will include conference calls, web-based discussions and the potential for one face-to-face convening. Organizations should also come prepared to initiate at least one new project or activity centered around harm reduction that they would like to address in a collaborative, shared learning environment. Organizations can expect to contribute no more than 6-8 hours a month to LEARN.
Organizations interested in participating in LEARN must demonstrate a commitment to improving the functioning of their organizations, have an interest in expanding services in areas that have minimal resources available to people living with or impacted by HIV, and possess the foundational leadership and infrastructure to lead and support associated organizational changes. LEARN will be offered multiple times each year in various content areas within the Deep South states (AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN or TX). Four to six organizations will be selected to participate in each cohort, and a stipend will be offered to participating organizations.
Organizations eligible to participate in LEARN must:
- Aim to increase engagement of people who use drugs in a more meaningful way;
- Have a primary organizational purpose of reducing new HIV infections and/or improving the health of people living with HIV by utilizing a harm reduction approach;
- Have at least one new project or activity centered around harm reduction they would like to address in a collaborative, shared learning environment;
- Be a non-profit, tax-exempt organization as set forth in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Applicants that do not hold 501(c)(3) status must have a fiscal sponsor to apply;
- Not receive funding from another Coordinating Center at the time of application submission;
- Identify and commit 2-3 people within the organization (1 decision-maker and 1-2 program staff) that agree to participate fully in each scheduled learning session;
Organizations will receive a monetary stipend that may be used to support costs related to travel and/or implementing harm reduction activities.
It is appropriate to use LEARN funds to pay for things like meeting expenses, printing, graphic design services, etc. However, there are prohibited expenses. You cannot use the funds to pay for or offset the cost of any of the following:
- Medications or purchasing of medications
- Direct medical expenses, including lab expenses
- Existing deficits of organization
- Biomedical research or clinical trials
- Projects that directly influence or advance Gilead Science’s business, including purchase, utilization, prescribing, formulary position, pricing, reimbursement, referral, recommendation or payment for products
- Individuals, individual health care providers, or physician group practices
- Events or programs that have already occurred
- Government lobbying activities
Please Note: Reimbursement for items/services purchased or initiated prior to the submission of this funding request will not be supported. Organizations that do not complete final assessments and/or reports, or utilize funds for the intended purpose will not be eligible to receive any additional funding from the SUSTAIN COMPASS Coordinating Center.
LEARN consists of sessions over 6 months with all participating organizations. Group learning sessions will primarily take place remotely and/or virtually. We value in-person gatherings, so there is a possibility we will host one face-to-face convening which is to be determined after applicants have been selected.
- Virtual Convening Dates: To be determined based on cohort’s collective availability.
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 15th, 2019 at 11:59pm CST
Please return to the Home Page to apply for this funding opportunity.