Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
All funds allotted for the 2019 CORE Grant cycle have been distributed. No new applications will be considered for the remainder of 2019. We look forward to considering all new requests beginning February 1, 2020.
The Emory University COMPASS Coordinating Center offers Core Grants of up to $4,500 per organization to support a variety of organizational and staff resources, including technology and software, meeting space costs, conference attendance fees, professional development, and continuing education. Funding requests must be related to building organizational capacity in one of the following areas: (1) governance and leadership; (2) mission, values, and strategy; (3) finance and administration; (4) resource development; (5) strategic relationships and coalition building; (6) communications; (7) internal management and operations; or (8) service delivery and impact, and must be clearly described in the application. Core grant applications are accepted on an ongoing basis, and are reviewed twice each month by an internal team of reviewers. An initial response to completed applications will be given within 14 business days after receipt. Applicants will be contacted if there are questions or if additional information is required to process an application. All services related to requests are expected to be completed within three (3) months of the date that funding/support is released. A final report will be required upon completion.
Applications will be accepted as long as funds are available.
- Currently, 501(c)(3) organizations (or organizations with a fiscal sponsor) are eligible for Core grant support
- Applicant organizations must reside in one of the (9) Deep South states (AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX)
- Funding requests should not include items currently covered by other funding resources
- Requests must have the support of the applicant organization’s leadership
- Applicants must be Community-Based Organizations that meet at least one (1) of the following:
- Is an AIDS Service Organization (ASO)
- Is a community-based organization that prioritizes HIV/AIDS prevention or care services
- Is a community-based organization with a substantial budgetary investment in HIV-related programming
- Treating healthcare organizations are NOT eligible for Core Grant funding. Treating healthcare organizations are defined as organizations that provide medical care directly to patients, including services or medical care provided by an MD, DO, NP, PA, or PharmD who either (1) practices medicine with patients; (2) prescribes drugs to patients; or (3) dispenses drugs to patients.)*
- Funds are NOT available to support medical staff, medical devices or equipment and/or to medical services or medically-related programming.
- Funds are NOT available for technology to help provide medical care, services, or support.
NOTE: Organizations that do not meet these eligibility requirements are INELIGIBLE for funding.
Core Grant Funding Area(s)
The Core Grant offers three (3) opportunities for funding support:
- Staff Continuing Education Support
- Community Meeting Space Support
Requirements for Applying for a Core Grant:
(Up to $4,500)
Organizations may receive funding for technology requests once every 3 years.
Staff Continuing Education Support
(Up to $3,000)
Organizations may receive funding for staff continuing education requests once per year.
Community Meeting Space Support
(Up to $2,000)
Organizations may receive funding for community meeting space requests once per year.
Limitations and Unallowable Expenses:
- Reimbursements for items/services purchased or initiated prior to the submission of this funding request will not be supported.
- Awarded organizations that do not complete final assessments and/or reports, or use awarded funds for unintended purposes will not be eligible to receive any future funding from the Emory University Rollins School of Public Health COMPASS Coordinating Center.
- Only one Core grant request will be accepted at a time per organization. Organizations that are national, with multiple locations, or serve as a branch or satellite of a larger entity are considered one organization not separate entities.
- Core Grants for Staff Continuing Education Support and/or Community Convening Support will be funded once per year.
- Core Grants for Technology will only be funded once every 3 years.
- Applications for funding through multiple funding mechanisms supported by the Emory COMPASS Coordinating Center will typically not be approved (i.e. PoWER Institute or Transformative Grant).
Submitting a Complete Application:
A complete Core Grant application includes the following:
- Completed Application form
- Project Narrative
- 501(c)(3) verification OR letter from a fiscal sponsor
- Adherence to the Budget and Quote guidance
- Line-item organizational operating budget as it pertains to the area of funding request (i.e. organizational budget for technology or continued education)
- Proof of completion of the Non-Profit Organizational Capacity Building Assessment (more information provided in the application)
Submission Process: The submission process should take no more than 30 minutes. The Emory COMPASS Coordinating Center staff will respond within fourteen (14) business days post-submission.
Please return to the Home page to apply for this funding opportunity.